Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes We Can

It was worth it, waking at 2am on the couch to watch the inauguration. As I laid there, eyes barely open, straining hard to really appreciate the words, I knew it was all worth it.

Concurrently, I had a great conversation with myself (you surely didn't think I had company at 2am, right?) while watching, and found myself coming up with great one-liners as the whole thing unfolded. If only I would have had my blog open, recording these thoughts, I would have filled pages with my sarcasm and humor. But for this morning, I'll add a few of the most memorable things I was thinking during it all...

Those trumpet players. Where did these guys come from? I felt like I was in 18th century England. Who invited these guys?

That's right, Bill and Hillary, go on. Draw the biggest claps, you rock stars you.

(as 43 enters, announced as 'The president of the United States of America'): When are we FINALLY going to get to refer to this guy as the FORMER president of the United States of America??

Oh, Aretha. Honey. What is WITH that hat? Really?

The first reverend? BO-ring. Come on, sir. It's 2am here. Get on with it already!

YoYoMa? Very cool.

In a crowd of 2.2 million, just where DOES one find parking?


Boy, he didn't even use a cue card once. Does he memorize this crap, or does it just come to him naturally?

Oh! The Star Spangled Banner! Oh! (yay!)

------

In the end, it was an amazing moment. I was literally a half a world away, and was absolutely amazed at the crowds, the current, the electricity, and the wonder of it all.

Although I am proud of what our country achieved on this day, I would like to think that the crowds were big for more than just history's sake. I would like to think that the crowds were innumerable to instead witness the hope of that brighter future we have craved, and that we are ready to expect from a great leader. It is my hope that this president will be judged not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character, and that when he leaves office, he won't be remembered as the first black president, but rather, the first to bring real hope, real change, and a sense of pride back to the American people.

And then I went back to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm glad you got up to watch it. I was thinking of you! I agree, Aretha, what was with the hat? And I think Jill Biden's shoes were a little over the top. Sexy? Yes. Appropriate? Not this time.