Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lost in translation

Ah, texting. I sing it's praises time and time again. From being texted about relief work from my principal to my 'effing' dictionary, I can't speak enough about texting.

I've mentioned before that I never use the letter u to represent the word you, or the number 4 to represent the word for. I always, always, always make my sentences grammatically correct, with proper spelling and punctuation. The only thing I don't do is capital letters, same as many of my e-mails. A text from me would look like this:

hey nina! mareta and i are up for some wines at SPQR after school on friday and you're coming too! that way, we can all hang out, drink, and you can say that you've finally been!

But others aren't so keen to be correct with sentence structure or proper grammar. And sometimes, it's a real mission to figure out what they're saying. Take these actual texts, written exactly as I received them...

i sd it 2 him b4
----
Oh and whle i waz in telecm grabd a mag 4 u.
-----
no txtng babe felt strengthened n hotter by yr confirmation.Went out 4 drnks last nite bouncd out of bed bn 4 walk up th mauga n hvn chai latte up sym str lovit
-----
fank u xx
----
wot u up 2?
-----
haha whoop whoop im gd at livin rm with bellew watchn ruggas. wea u at america wat r ur coordinates ova.
----
sweet!thts us!
----
me comin in now. wana get a beer out front b4 shift?
----
Im so happy 4 u al!Wr al partying u go galfriend.Tim txt ths morn 2 wish gr8 time
----
Haha...gd nite watchn rugby...u stil at work? Buzi?
----

No comments: