Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Slanguage, part two

I just know that when I come home I'm going to use all of these new words that people don't understand and everyone is going to look at me and say 'huh?' Fitting, I reckon, as I did the same upon my arrival. At the end of my stay, though (and as a forewarning to my trip home) I provide you with one more look at a few more of my favorite kiwi words.

choice - cool
I reckon - I agree, I think
keen - up for, would like to
hottie - hot water bottle
sunnies - sunglasses
sook - cry baby
my shout - I'll pay
togs/swimmers - bathing suits
bach - vacation home (I won't be using that one so much, but still like it!)
sprogs - children
chocka - full or overflowing
ice block - popsicle
jumper/jersey - sweater or coat
pudding - dessert
tea - snack or a meal
tuck/tucker - food/eating

and my personal favorite...

as - very something (sweet-as, tired-as, hot-as, quiet-as, white-as, etc...)

check out this website for more authentic kiwi slang:
http://www.nz-immigration.co.nz/lifestyle/slang-words.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd better print this list off and keep it handy so we will be able to understand what you are saying. Having become the world traveler that you are, maybe you should consider our house your "bach". Only 8 more days until we see you in Vegas - WE CAN'T WAIT!!!!