Saturday, June 09, 2007

David


My favorite recent story is a short but touching one that makes me smile on a lot of levels.

I have a little cherub, David, in my class.

When his moms (yes, moms) found out that I was leaving, they invited me to dinner. Having learned in New Zealand that you never say no to an offer like that, I of course accepted. David and his very successful moms have a full house which also includes two little girls, 3, and 6 months. Fiona, a pediatrician, and Brenda, a midwife, are both older and have been a couple for more than 10 years.

As I sat at David's dinner table with him, his two moms and his two sisters, eating roast chicken and vegetables, I had a fleeting moment where I stepped back to look at the picture I was a part of. I thought back to a time not so long ago when I thought seeing myself in that situation would be weird. Me, dining at a table with two lesbians and their three kids?

At that moment, though, it seemed natural and just right.

It was an incredible night of wine and good food, followed by tea and adult conversation. I even sat for a little while and watched Dancing With The Stars with Brenda (one her favorite shows), while Fiona cleaned up the kitchen.

I will never be able to thank David's family enough for dinner that night and their constant kindness each day at school.

But without them even knowing, I'll be eternally grateful for the opportunity they gave me to step back and realize how much my view of the world has changed. For the better.

No comments: