Monday, May 05, 2008

What A Weekend!

Whew.

My four-day, Golden Week holiday weekend could not have been more packed. Although the events were numerous, three highlights are worth noting.

1. My new friends: Patrick and Kirsty.

I met Kirsty randomly through a friend* on Facebook (* = a guy I've never even met). We decided to meet for a quick coffee at a local tourist hangout/shopping plaza. We ended up spending the whole day together shopping, eating pizza, and drinking beer and bubble tea with Patrick. Patrick is a new student teacher at our school.

The following night, our (me and Patrick's) brand-new bf invited us to her house for crepes. Yums.

Pretty much, all three of us get along famously.

----

2. My first traffic violation.

Today, a rainy Monday, I went through a (just-turned) red light, on account that stopping, at my speed, would have been more dangerous. Unfortunately, I went through the light right next to the (fifth ones I've ever seen in this country) cops. They pulled me over real fast like, and ticketed me. I tried to explain myself, but of course, it did me no good (I might as well have been speaking Martian). But, I pulled two over on them... For starters, I'm supposed to drive around with these little magnet dealies that show that I am a new driver, which I REFUSE to have on my car. So, had they turned over my license to see the classification, my fine would have been doubled (dummies!). Then, (after calling the one cop who speaks English), it was translated to me that if I get no more violations for the next three months, the points I lost today will be re-added to my license. Stupid Japanese didn't know that for two of those three months, I'll be out of the country.

Super.

-----

3. My latest grocery bill: 3,987 yen (about $40)

I bought:

2 small cans of corn
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 small box of quick oats
1 small bunch of fresh flowers
3 oranges
3 bananas
6 ounces of blueberries
1 package of english muffins
a 4-pack of canned tuna
2 tubs of margarine
2 packages of rice dessert

I kinda wish, when I lived in New Zealand, that someone would have said to me: 'You think living here is expensive? Try Japan.'

----

For the most part, I think three- and four-day weekends should be a part of the regular work week...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you had a great weekend. I totally wanted to call but we had to go the farm and work cattle (i.e. I sit inside the house and keep my kids out of everything that is not childproof, which is pretty much everything in the house). I tried to get outside and let the kids watch by the were both tired of it after ten minutes...should of called when I was bored to tears inside. I'll catch you soon though :)