As of today, it's two years since my adventure around the world started. On the 6th of September, two years ago, I left America for an experience in personal growth that has led me here. As of today, I have spent more than 700 days abroad.
I look back to reflect the amount of gowing that I have done since leaving home. Life lessons have been plenty, including tears and fears to mend, semi-masterment of a completely foreign language and alphabet, professional growth beyond my my wildest reaches, and a sense of self-worth and accomplishment that can only com from having had the experiences that I have been fortunate enough to have.
So, in retrospect, I would like to share some of my most fond memories and learning moments that I can remember (in no specific order).
1. Who would have ever known that Canada was not one of the United States of America?
2. The best diet you can have? A broken heart. (But I don't recommend it...)
3. Gay men make the best friends.
4. Playing 'dumb foreigner' is the best way out of any sticky situation (and you can take that advice to the bank!).
5. Children around the world are the same. They love cookies, need bandaids, and give hugs. A hello in any language or a smile on any color of face is something that can make your day.
6. The second best diet you can have? Living in Japan.
7. Facebook and Guitar Hero are like crack.
8. Bacon, in any other country, is not bacon.
9. Most countries won't allow your auntie to ship real bacon to you.
10. Lighting and music can make or break the mood of your living space.
11. Friends are good to have, but keeping in touch with them is hard to do.
12. Mastering driving on two sides of the road is a skill worth putting on a resume.
13. A good resume is good to have.
14. Sometimes, long lost things do come back to you. And when they do, you often don't know what the hell to do with them, although you're mighty glad they're there...
15. Living is easy with eyes closed, but I wouldn't advise that either.
16. People come and go. Friends are good and bad. And life is too short to allow others to bring you down.
17. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Or so they say.
Here's to 700 more good ones abroad (just don't tell my Auntie)...