Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Girl Guide

(Girl Guide? Nice try, guys...)

-----------

So, I walk into school one day and there's a note on the board in the staff lounge:

'Girl Guide cookies - see Sharanee.'

And I thought, 'Girl Guide?'

?

And THEN I thought, 'OH! Like Girl SCOUT!'

(only not really)

Because after internally I laughed my rear off at the name 'Girl Guide' I went straight to Sharanee to get some 'Girl Guide' cookies. Because who could refuse?

But besides the fact that they're only NZ$2.80 a box (that's about US$1.80), they don't actually come in boxes. And there's only two flavors. Plain and chocolate-covered.

No wonder they only cost $2.80.

I got my packages today. I was not impressed.

They only come in two flavors. Plain and chocolate-covered. And they don't come in boxes. And the packaging isn't colorful.

So I put them in the lounge for the teachers to eat.

At least it was for a good cause. Guiding girls, I guess.

Then, I went home and laughed again, for a different reason, and this is why:
In New Zealand, joking names for islanders (Samoans, Tongans, Fijians, Nueans, etc..) are 'coconut' or 'darky'. My flatmate Doug, a Tongan, is a coconut. And a darky. But that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that Girl Scouts make a (really yummy) cookie called Samoas made with chocolate and coconut. And I think that's really funny.

Not as funny as Girl Guide cookies.

They only come in two flavors. Plain and chocolate-covered.

(nice try, guys...)

No comments: