Having had the chance to check out Des Moines this summer from the top of a well-located, downtown Whiteline loft, I can say that the city, my first real home, holds a place in my heart as the most beautiful city, even above the skyline of Paris or from the highest hills of Barcelona.
Although it was terribly difficult to choose just ten, here are the top things I love best about going home to Des Moines:
1. The aforementioned view of the capitol, day or night.
2. Downtown, including, but not limited to, Raccoon River Brewery, Johnny's, free dancing at Liar's Club, and Mooncheez.
3. I Cubs baseball
4. Continually circumnavigating familiar streets
5. Getting a beer (and a good one) for only $3.
6. I Cubs baseball
7. Downtown and Valley Junction's Farmer's Markets
8. Being reminded of great memories of great past times by great friends
10. Midwestern boys, and lots of them
I guess, the old adage is true, there's just no place like home.